UPDATE

I started this blog to update family and friends back home about my trip to Russia in 2013. Now, I'm headed off to Israel for about a month. If and when I am able, I'll write postcards to you right here! Enjoy!

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pressing Forward

Hey friends and family!

Sorry I didn't write a post last week.  We had a busy Sunday.

The past two weeks have been a little different.  The four of us decided to take three weeks and eat only vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans, and some grains... no bread, no meat, no dairy.  We have one week left.  It's a challenge, and honestly I've been craving a ChickfilA chicken sandwich.  But, I think all of us have become more focused on the task at hand because of this "diet".

Last Saturday, we had two friends come over for a couple hours.  We played card games and talked with them.  It was a little difficult because only one of them could speak fairly good english.  Then Sunday, we had a couple other friends come over.  Both of them can speak english quite well.  We played more card games and had a lot of fun with it.  During one of our card games, Jessica suggested that the winner tell a story.  So once we started telling stories, we started talking about our families.  We showed each other pictures of our families and got into other conversations.  And somehow we ended up sharing with them and I told them a little of my life story.  They didn't really ask any questions, but they enjoyed hearing the stories.  I can't describe how much I love these girls... it's times like these I know coming to Russia is truly worth it.  Please keep these girls in your thoughts.

(can you tell we played spoons??... haha)
Something I've stuggled with this semester is pride.  I know it's something everyone deals with, but it's a little different for each person.  There are days when I've been annoyed by something one of my girls said or did; other days, I simply was putting myself before them; other days, I really just didn't want to be here.  I guess I didn't realize that the hardest part of being here would be dealing with my own selfishness and arrogance.  Although they're not fun to deal with, struggles are necessary and should not be avoided.  I've been shown how weak I really am.  I'm constantly forced to rely on the strength of my Father, which is my greatest priviledge.  And he constantly provides.  I can now press forward with joy in my struggles.

So this past week, we put together a little video about our transportation here in Russia... enjoy!
Episode Marshrutka (youtube link)

Well, that's all for now.  Happy Easter!!