UPDATE

I started this blog to update family and friends back home about my trip to Russia in 2013. Now, I'm headed off to Israel for about a month. If and when I am able, I'll write postcards to you right here! Enjoy!

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Rock Climbing!!


We finally got to go rock climbing!!! 

Our american friends drove us out to the place where we had our cookout a few weeks ago.  Nearby are some awesome cliffs.  There's some bolts that our friends set up on these cliffs awhile ago, so that when we get there we only have to throw a few ropes and tie a few knots in order to climb.  There were three walls that we used that day.  I only climbed one of them.  It was about 100 feet tall and so much harder than I thought it would be. 




Did I mention that climbing actual rock walls is completely different than climbing indoor walls?  Let me explain. 
At an indoor climbing center, the walls have colored holds that are easy to see; I would primarily use my hands and feet to push myself upward; most walls don't include sections where you have to climb inside a crack in the wall. 
On an outdoor rock wall, I had to search for a possible hold, sometimes just by feeling around until I found a grip;  I used hands, feet, forearms, shoulders, knees, and back to climb up different sections of the wall;  there was most definitely cracks in the wall that I had to climb inside pressing my feet against one side of the wall while my back pressed against the other side. 





When I started up the wall, I felt pretty good.  I thought my experience from indoor climbing was surely an advantage I had over some of my friends.  About 30 feet into the climb, I came upon a section where my previous experience was not helping.  Climbing real rocks was different.  And yes, I was in that crack I told you about.  Inside this crack was a big ol' rock that shot out straight over my helmet.  I yelled down to Jessica (who had already mastered this wall), "How do get around this thing?"  She gave me some advice and it still took me a long time to figure it out.  Once I got around that section, I thought the hardest part was over.  My muscles were weakening and I was already scratched up even after all the chalk I had used on my hands.

After a quick break, I continued on, hoping the hardest part was over.  Turns out, that big ol' rock was not the hardest part.  I entered another crack, smaller than the one before, which made it even more difficult to manuver through.  After several attempts to climb through it, I asked Jessica for more advice.  Even with her advice, I couldn't make it.  My muscles were dying, there were no good grips, I was covered in dirt, and this crack seemed like mission impossible.  I fell again and again.  I was very close to telling Joanna, my belayer, to just lower me down.  I sat in my harness.  My head hung in surrender.  I couldn't see any way through this thing. 

It was in that moment that I realized I really couldn't do this in my own strength (mental or physical).  Then I remembered the One who said "...my power is made perfect in weakness."  So for his sake, I decided to press forward.  Then a small foothold on the outside of the crack caught my eye.  I moved toward it.  Once I positioned myself on it, I looked up and saw a possible strategy for getting over the crack.  Using this new strategy I slowly inched up the outside of the crack.  It was uncomfortable and required a lot of focus.  After a good struggle, I looked up and saw that the top of the climb was right over my head.  I reached out for the bolt and pulled myself up.  I rested for a minute and enjoyed the view.  Then I let out a "Woohoo!" and repelled down the cliff. 

Even with dirt in my eyes, sharp rocks, and weakened muscles, I can say this was my favorite climb ever.  It reminds me of one of my favorite songs called Rise by Josh Garrels.


I hung my head, for the last time 
In surrender and despair 

Before I’m dead,
 I’ll take the last climb 
Up the mountain, face my fears 
The time has come, to make a choice 
Use my voice for the love of every man 
My minds made up, never again 
Never again, will I turn round 

Though they may surround me like lions
 And crush me on all sides 
I may fall, but I will rise 
Not by my might, or my power, or by the strength of swords 
Only through, your love, my lord 
All we’ve lost, will be, restored 


That's my story for the week.  Keep in mind the girls we've met.  We're hanging out with them a lot more this week!  It's gonna be awesome!  

I love you and miss you all!

Stand firm.  Press forward.


Jessica about to climb...