UPDATE

I started this blog to update family and friends back home about my trip to Russia in 2013. Now, I'm headed off to Israel for about a month. If and when I am able, I'll write postcards to you right here! Enjoy!

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Dancing & Springtime

Spring has finally come!!  And it is SO lovely here in the Spring.
When we first got here, there wasn't much color.  Just a lot of gray, brown, and white.  But NOW... after a few days of refreshing rain, the bright green leaves have sprung and the flowers are blooming everywhere!  They sure do take care of their gardens here.  I'll get some more Springy pictures later... for now, here is an excellent picture of me with a volleyball... thanks to Jessica.



I suppose you want to hear about the incredible dancing experience we had...  On Friday, we went to the university nearby, expecting to help out an English class.  Instead, there was a conference for new students going on.  We had come just in time for the dancing.  
So here in Southern Russia, there is a tradional dance that everyone must know.  It is unlike American hip hop, waltzing, and ballet.  But, it has a little bit of each.  It's like hip hop, because the guy can pretty much move in any crazy way he likes.  It's like waltzing, because the guy dances with one girl.  It's like ballet, because the girl's job is to look beautiful as she floats across the dance floor.  Basically the guy asks a girl to dance and the guy proceeds to dance circles around the girl, as if trying to impress her.  The girl stands on her toes taking quick light steps, floating her arms with her swift movements.  
The whole thing is so cool.  You have to see it!  
Here's some videos.  I apologize for the very poor quality.  All we had on us were our camera phones. Haha.  Enjoy.





So after watching them dance for awhile, we saw a few guys gather together in a huddle.  We could tell they were up to something.  They kept laughing and poking their heads up to look at us.  My thought was, "Oh no.  They are totally gonna ask us to dance."  Sure enough, three guys ran over to us, babbling something in Russian, and pulled us out onto the dance floor.  I don't know what I looked like, but I did my best to imitate what I had seen other girls doing.  And thankfully, it was very fun!  I think I'm much better at this traditional dance than any American dances.  Haha.  After a few minutes of walking on my toes and gracefully flailing my arms, my partner walked me off the dance floor.  I think Hannah, Joanna, and Jessica enjoyed the dancing too.  I'm so glad we got to experience this wonderful part of the culture!  

Well, I'm about to go out to the park to walk with some of our local friends!  Keep me and my girls in mind as you go throughout your week. 
Remember the goal we live for and never stop persevering in the race that has been set before us all.

Stand firm.  Press Forward.

Over and out. :)